Simon's Flying Training

This is a record of my flying training with Oxford Aviation Training. The first 7 months of Ground School are now complete, and the second phase of the training - the actual flying - starts in Goodyear, Arizona. Keep checking back for updates on my flying progress, and how my Wife and Daughter are coping with a new home in the desert!

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Lemony Snicket has nothing on me

A series of unfortunate events - pah!
Yesterday I went to the airport for an afternoon solo flight. Upon arrival I found that some goon had moved my flight from 14:45 on N686J to 15:30 on N268ND. Two problems with this: Firstly the Mass & Balance sheet I had prepared was now scrap, and I needed to do another; and secondly when I did eventually get down to N268ND, I discovered it was buggered. I did the pre-flight check, untied the aircraft, ran through the pre-start checks, started the engine - and watched as the Low Bus light came on, and the alternator output stayed at 1 amp. Marvelous. Shut the aircraft down, oack my stuff away, tie the plane down, and stomp back to Dispatch.
Back home for a good rant, then wandered down to the pool to cool off a little.

Flights for today - the solo navigation that was cancelled on Tuesday now at 6am this morning, followed at 8:30am by the solo general handling that was cancelled yesterday. Last night spent ages planning my route to Ryan Airfield near Tucson - got everything all hunky dorey as I didn't want to do the whole plan at 4am... get up this morning and it's pi$$ing down, with a massive thunderstorm thrown in for good measure.

Grrrrrrr!!!!!


I've used the winds aloft data for Phoenix and Tucson and completed the rest of my plan, just in case. I'm now all ready to go, but when the ATIS for Phoenix is showing 17 knot winds gusting to 24, it's not looking likely that I'll fly.




Time to grab some Weetabix, then head down to the airport and see what's happening...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home