Simon's Flying Training

This is a record of my flying training with Oxford Aviation Training. The first 7 months of Ground School are now complete, and the second phase of the training - the actual flying - starts in Goodyear, Arizona. Keep checking back for updates on my flying progress, and how my Wife and Daughter are coping with a new home in the desert!

Thursday, October 12, 2006

JAA Navigation Test completed

Finally managed to get an examiner available today to test me on my navigation ability. It was the chief flying instructor Tom Armstrong that was available to test me, so that raised the nerve level a bit, but fortunately he is a really nice guy so it helped calm things down somewhat.
We were delayed slightly but eventually made it out just after 3pm, and after a nice take off from runway 21 I took us out towards the south-east, heading towards Lake St Clair. The conditions were very favourable, and I was only slightly off course at the start of the first leg, but noticed it and corrected it accordingly. We didn't quite make it to the lake, Tom decided to give me a diversion when we were about 10 miles out - taking us back up towards the Goodyear area. I did the calculations for the diversion and they turned out to be pretty accurate, and at one point I'm sure he nodded off a little - the aircraft was trimmed out nicely and there wasn't much going on for quite a while.
We reached the diversion point, and he asked me to carry out a practise forced landing after a simulated engine failure. This also went really well, nice and calm and relaxed, and we would have landed on the dirt strip I had nominated. We then headed back to Goodyear, had a nice chat on the way in, then parked up and headed in for a debrief. There were a couple of things he pointed out but I reasoned them out with him and he was very receptive and understanding. I came away from it with a very good mark, and also having learned a few things too. It was a completely different experience to my PT1, that's for sure.
Hopefully now things will go a little smoother. I've changed instructors as I'm now starting the more advance instrument work, and my first flight with him went really well yesterday morning too. I've changed flying buddies too, and am now paired up with one of the guys from the course who already has a PPL, and whom I really like and respect. Not to say I didn't like or respect Toddy.... but it's always beneficial to see how other people do things, and try to learn from them.
Anyway, it's been quite a long day and I'm due in the Simulator tomorrow morning bright and early - but at least I will approach it a little bit more relaxed and happier than I have been all week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home