Simon's Flying Training

This is a record of my flying training with Oxford Aviation Training. The first 7 months of Ground School are now complete, and the second phase of the training - the actual flying - starts in Goodyear, Arizona. Keep checking back for updates on my flying progress, and how my Wife and Daughter are coping with a new home in the desert!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

A tough week

As some of my family and friends know, it has been a very tough week this week. After a great week last week, everything went rapidly downhill shortly after saying farewell to my dad on Tuesday as I headed down to the airport to do my Progress Test 1.
Without going into detail, let's just say that the test was a complete farce, and I came away from it madder than I have been in a very long time. So mad, it prompted me to compose an email to OAT's Managing Director/President, Anthony Petteford - something I had not had to do since starting the course.
Fortuntately, some of my grievances have been addressed - Anthony was very receptive to my complaints, and even phoned me at home in Goodyear to discuss the matter in detail. There are still a couple of issues that need sorting, one of which hasn't been brought to his attention yet - a matter regarding a certain member of staff and her opinion on how I manage my family/career.
A very good friend of mine recently joined us out in Goodyear, and after only a few days here he had posted an entry on his blog concerning this woman (and also one of the guys in Dispatch) - so I know it isn't just me that thinks she is a stony faced, condescending, ignorant, obtuse little oxygen thieving witch who for some reason has managed to hold onto her job despite numerous complaints.
Moving on.... with all the stress I've had this week surrounding OATC, this has also had an impact in other areas of my life. While taking the mini van back the other day I cleared all of the (numerous) pockets and cubby holes, except for one. And what was in that one? My PDA case, SD card, charger, and compact flash GPS receiver. Balls balls balls. Fortunately the guy at Hertz tracked the minivan down at Sky Harbor airport, and retrieved all the items except for the GPS receiver. I am really gutted about this - I only bought it a couple of months ago, and know I have no way of getting it back, even though it's pretty clear that someone at Hertz has pocketed that but returned the other items. I really hate myself for being so forgetful - it's not something I normally do, but this event coupled with losing my Ray Bans has really bugged me. :-(
One half decent thing was that Hertz had failed to arrange a replacement vehicle (Vee-Hick-Ull) - and all they had was a Dodge Charger - normally very expensive to rent due to the spec (5.7 litre Hemi V8, 350hp, 390lb ft etc) - but I pointed out it wasn't my fault they had no cars, so I have ended up with the Charger for the same money I was paying for the cheaper cars. With Paul Herbert renting a yellow V6 Mustang, all we need do now is organise a time to go recreate the car chase scene from Bullitt - but it looks like someone beat us to it. Review here, video here. Maybe I'll just see if I can get it resprayed to look like a modern day General Lee and get a Dixie horn fitted. Dammit, someone has already done that too!





On my list of toys to get when I have money again is a General Lee, Knight Rider KITT, an A-Team van, and possibly Street Hawk (but if I'm honest Street Hawk bike is a bit pants). I'll settle for a replica Airwolf instead then. Clare just looks at me funny when I tell her this, but I don't think it's too unreasonable, is it?



Yesterday I was due to have a solo nav flight in the afternoon, but winds in the area were gusting to 30 knots, so the flight was cancelled. I carried out the flight this morning at 6am (good old Gilbert, still getting me the prime slots) - and it was really hazy, very poor visibility. Fortunately my navigation planning worked out really well, and the flight overall was very enjoyable and relaxing. Here's a pic of the area east of Phoenix, heading towards Kearny:



Family-wise everything is still going good. The pool where we are living has been out of use for the last few days, but is ok now I believe. Clare has been extremely supportive this week, and I again feel incredibly lucky to have her on side through all of this. I really couldn't have done it without her help.
Georgia is still having a great time here. She was missing her Grandad for a couple of days, but is now happy that she'll get Grandad for Christmas (or 'Mismas' as she says). She also keeps asking for a bike, so we'll have to see if we can have a word with Santa about that. Here's a picture of her taken the other night - ready for bed but posing with her new sunglasses on. Rockstar!



Clare and I just finished watching Dave Gorman on DVD. We went to see the show live at Bolton a couple of years ago with my good pal Gareth - and even though we know what happens it still makes us howl with laughter. Anyone in Goodyear who reads this can borrow my copy if they like, and anyone in the UK (or Ireland) should go obtain a copy - it's top stuff. Mr Gorman, you owe me advertising money :-)

I have another 6am flight tomorrow - back to back flights with Toddy, which means we should be heading somewhere further afield similar to our trip to Payson 2 weeks ago. Can't wait!

Adios

Simon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home